Thursday, November 13, 2008

Does scoring affect tournament bowling?

Is 230 the new 200?
According the the Alabama USBC All State teams, the 10th highest average in the state was 232.51. In 2007/2008, there were 6 Huntsville bowlers and 7 Birmingham bowlers over 230. The All State teams include 4 Montgomery area bowlers. While I saw no 230 averages in Mobile, I do know at least four would be among this group if they bowled in PlamorVestaviaBama the typical north or central Alabama super league house. I also know of good tournament bowlers who do not bowl in the 'super' houses that are not 230 league average bowlers.

Practice, we don't need stinkin' practice!
I admit, I don't practice as much as I should. I say this every time I am driving home after missing a cut or failing to cash. You have a lot of time to think about your failed strategy, shot selection, ball reaction, poor mechanics, etc while driving 10, 20, 100, 200 miles home from a tournament.

Why? I'm not sure I know how to have a good practice regimen anymore. Practice to me is mostly keeping loose and repeating shots. I don't shoot corner pins for 30 minutes, or try shooting strikes on every arrow. For me, it is a resource issue; time and money. It is too expensive to practice. I can bowl two-three leagues and a tournament every 3-4 week-ends, which keeps me loose and repeating shots. I don't visit the bowling center to practice for $2.25 a line. I would rather pay the $20/week league fee knowing I am getting a chunk of that back, while bowling in competition and pressure situations.

Where are the tournament bowlers?
Alabama seems to be a bowling state. Moving to Huntsville from Memphis in 1986, I couldn't believe the number of bowling centers this 'small' town had. Monarch, Plamor, and Parkway were all within visual distance of each other. So, why aren't there more tournament bowlers? I have been to scratch tournaments in Birmingham where I counted more Huntsville bowlers than local bowlers. I rarely see any Montgomery area bowlers unless it is the state tournament. I'm not sure if there are any major scratch tournaments in Montgomery. Is it safe to be a once-a-week 220 average league bowler and not suffer the embarrasment of a poor showing at a tournament? Yes, we all have gone through that. However, I want to suffer the pride and accolades of a victory or great showing.

Scoring is relative
I have been in sweepers where I shot 700 for 3 games and was barely in the top 20. I was also in a RealBowlers.com tournament where I was one of only 8 bowlers who were plus (averaged more than 200). I felt more proud of the top 8 finish with 201 average than averaging 233 and missing the cut. With tournaments, it is not the pinfall, it is the placement. PBA Experience leagues are picking up momentum. Not enough, where we see successful fall leagues. However, sport condition tournaments during fall/winter are here.

Why are you not out there?

3 comments:

  1. You mention no Montgomery bowlers in local tournaments. That may be mostly correct but there are a group of 10 of us who compete every year in our Local City, Double Diamond, The Peanut, State, Emerald Coast and this last year we traveled to the Southeastern. We may not go to Birmingham to bowl in the Stepladder, but that does not mean we dont bowl in tournaments. Please kknow all your facts before downgrading Montgomery bowlers. My group also knows that a SUPER HOUSE average of 230 is inflated. Our group of bowlers just doesnt have the ability to bowl every weekend as most of us work them, So we choose which tournaments to bowl. WE choose based on where the venue is so we can also enjoy a weekend away! Thanks for reading a Montgomery tournament bowler! PS The SUPER HOUSES are just trying to make 90% of league bowlers happy but putting out a good consistant shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that my perception of Montgomery bowlers is based on tournaments in Birmingham; a common distance between our two areas. I certainly don't bowl every week-end and do pick tournaments within my driving distance, thus I don't participate in Gulf coast area tournaments. Would love to bowl in a good Montgomery scratch tournament, but have never seen one advertised.

    Also, that is a good future topic; what is a 'good, consistent shot'? I bet our interpretations would vary much. My opinion is that the 90% of league bowlers define that as 'easy and easy every week.'

    I certainly did not intend to slight Montgomery bowlers. Montgomery has to get credit for its PBA Experience league in the summer that boasted a large and spirited membership that won the bowl.com award for the best video submission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct in saying that 90% or more of league bowlers define a good consistant shot as easy, easier and easiest! Stand left and throw it right and know that it is going to hit pocket, or close to it!

    ReplyDelete