He doesn't have a lot of experience so their expectations aren't too high but at the big match against the blowhards from Mount Pilot, Howard can do no wrong. With only one frame to go, Howard is still on his way to a perfect game. Just then, the power goes out forcing the end of the game to be re-scheduled for the next night.During the Huntsville All Star League on October 31, 2013, Billy Sales started the third game of the set with the first three strikes. Just then, the electrical power went out in the bowling center. During a very windy evening with potential storms threatening the area, a truck had hit a power pole which disrupted power in a section of the city. While awaiting restoration of power, the league decided, in darkness, to conclude week 12 of the schedule the following week. At the completion of this game, the league would then bowl the 13th week of the schedule. Two possibilities were discussed for the following week. These situations were discussed in the USBC rulebook rule 116c:
116b. Scores LostOn November 7, the league concluded game 3 of week 12. Pin Palace, the bowling center, still had the scores which included the frames bowled. The computer the center uses did have battery backup which saved the scores.
When game(s) or frame(s) within a game are irretrievably lost in the scoring process, the following procedures shall apply:
1. Scores that can be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains stand and the game shall resume from the point of interruption in regular order.
2. Scores that cannot be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains shall be rebowled, unless the board of directors rules them null and void.
After one week, 70 year old Billy Sales proceeded to throw nine consecutive strikes for a two-week perfect game. The fictional Howard Sprague only had to throw one strike the next night for perfection. Billy threw 25% of his strikes during one week and the other 75% of the strikes seven days later.
So, congratulations to Billy Sales for this highly unusual perfect game to add to his repertoire of honor scores. Of all his honor scores, I'm sure Mr. Sales will definitely remember this one.
There is another footnote to this story. Billy's teammate, Ernest Reese, almost did the exact same thing! However, Ernest left one pin standing on November 7 to throw a two week 299 game.
Two honor scores bowled on the same pair of lanes that took seven days to complete!